Our General English courses are perfect if you want to improve your all-round English skills and learn how to communicate effectively. We offer teaching for various levels – from beginner to advanced.
In addition to course books, teachers use a variety of authentic and topical materials and activities. Our teachers encourage participation in conversational activities to make lessons interesting. These courses include a number of exercises focusing on comprehension, speaking, listening, reading, writing, grammar, vocabulary development and cultural experience. You will be given regular homework and at the end of the week, you will revise what you have learnt.
All students while enrolling will need to take a multiple choice placement test and have a short speaking interview in order for us to establish whether your English is at a suitable level for you to follow the course.
Included in the price:
- Welcome information pack
- Language level placement test on arrival
- Weekly progress tests
- Regular homework
- Use of our Computer Learning Centre
- Free Wi-Fi throughout the school
- Certificate of completion at the end of your course
Why choose the General English course?
This course is ideal for you if:
- You want to learn English for social reasons, work reasons or to further your study
- You want to improve your everyday English language skills and be able to communicate effectively with a variety of people
- The course has a balanced programme: speaking, listening, reading, writing, pronunciation, grammar
- The delivery is varied from pair and group work, student-led input, project work, and private study
- The course focuses on living and communicating in real-life situations in Britain
- There are regular progress tests and tutorials
- The course is available from Beginner to Advanced (See table below)
- Follow-on courses available: IELTS Preparation or one-to-one classes (on request).
- The course focuses on the 4 skills of writing (sentences, paragraphs, essays, reports), reading (specific information, main idea), speaking (discussions, seminars, presentations) and listening (lectures, live lectures, interaction)
- Lots of opportunity to practice your English and build on your vocabulary, spoken accuracy and pronunciation
- It also develops study skills including research, referencing, paraphrasing, note-taking, summarising)
You have the option to take additional one-to-one lessons to improve specific areas such as your vocabulary, learning about idioms or general pronunciation practice.
One-to-one lessons are useful just before an examination, job interview or university interview.
You can take one-to-one lessons in areas including:
- Exam Preparation
- Academic Study Skills
Proofreading is the crucial final stage of the writing process. When proofreading your own work, you are often so familiar with the text that errors can be missed. Errors can affect your grades or business so for this reason, you will get the best results by asking someone else to proofread your work.
We have a team of Proofreaders who are available to read through, scrutinize, suggest corrections and offer advice on your work whether it be an academic essay, a CV or a job application.
We want to help you ensure your work is presented to the highest standard!
Yorkshire English School offers a Pronunciation Course which can help you to speak clearly and be easily understood by others. You can learn easy-to-use strategies to help you with understanding English conversations and be able to respond with confidence.
The course focuses on learning how to speak more naturally like a native English speaker. Students practice their pronunciation skills through activities that emphasize speaking smoothly and easily whilst ensuring accuracy of pronunciation at the same time.
General English starts every Monday (except public holidays and on 24 December as we are closed for the Christmas holidays)